1.Can I apply for Lawful Permanent Residency (a green card) for my same-sex spouse?

Yes, the US Supreme Court has found Section 3 of DOMA, a federal law which formerly prevented the federal government from recognizing same sex marriages, to be unconstitutional. Same-sex marriage has been legalized at some point in 13 states, including California, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, and Washington and District of Columbia. So, it is now possible to apply for a family-based visa for a same-sex spouse, as long as the same-sex marriage is recognized in the states.

2.If I am convicted of a crime, will that affect my ability to become a citizen?

Yes, Certain crimes will result in your citizenship being denied and in the commencement of a deportation proceeding against you.

3.My spouse and I have a child born in the US, but we are non-legal immigrants. Can our child file an immigration petition on our behalf?

Your child is not eligible to petition on your behalf until he or she is 21 or older.

4.Can I apply for immigration for my foreign citizen’s siblings as a US permanent resident?

No, you are only eligible to apply for the immigration of your foreign national sibling if you are a US citizen and at least 21 years old. 

5.After becoming Lawful Permanent Resident (Green card holder), Must I stay in the United States at all times?

No, but generally general holders cannot be outside of the US for more than six months. If he or she wishes to remain outside of the US for more than six months during a year, then he or she should obtain a reentry permit, or potentially be deemed to have abandoned their green card.

6.What are the real benefits of a green card?

Work- you are allowed to work for any company in the US. 

Business – you can start your own business anywhere in the US.

Travel - you can travel anywhere within the US and leave and enter the country without being denied at the port of entry.

Family – you can sponsor a spouse and unmarried children through the same green card petition.

Home – it may be much easier to be approved for a home mortgage or to obtain lower interest rates.

Education – you enjoy in-state tuition at public universities and colleges. Typically, this rate is two to four times less expensive than the rate foreign students have to pay.